Sunday, November 7, 2010

Activities of the Unemployed Ski Bum: Baking!

As unemployed ski bums with no place to ski, we've been doing our best to keep busy. We all joined the gym, and last week Roxanne and I had a day of baking. She made bread and I made cinnimon buns. Between the two of us, the kitchen was a disaster (flour everywhere!) but the results were delicious.


After much experimentation, I discovered that the vodka bottle works best as a rolling pin when you drink half of it first.


Roxanne's finished product...a couple of loaves and some muffin-tin buns.


Carmel cinnamon rolls. Spirals of heaven in a pan. The most delicious part is the concoction of butter and brown sugar that lines the bottom of the pan...essentially deep-frying the dough as it bakes in the oven. It's my mom's recipe and the best cinnamon buns I've ever tasted. They're probably the best cinnamon buns in the world, and I'm sure you'd think so too... unless you're an icing person...in which case, you have bigger problems to worry about.


The flip side of the cinnamon rolls. Delectably sticky caramel sauce drips down the spiral. This is the first of two delicious hot-out-of-the-oven rolls that I had for supper...the night before I bought a gym pass to avoid turning into a cinna-blob before ski season.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my, the bread and buns definitely look D-lish. Wish I was there to eat some. Maybe I can just place an order?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your favourite baby bro MarkusNovember 09, 2010

    After living in res for a while I completely agree that a 40 vodka > rolling pin in almost every single scenerio ranging from starting a fire to holding fresh flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just caught up on all your blogs! very entertaining! haha looking fwd to keeping up with your ski season!

    ReplyDelete